Tuesday, January 13, 2009

We made it!!!

I have returned to the land of my childhood, Germany. I have extremely few real memories of this beautiful country. The only one that sticks out distinctly is a trip that my parents took (I am told it was to Austria) where they went skiing. I was told that I was too young to ski (I don't remember how old I was, but I couldn't have been 5 y.o. yet). I was SO MAD! I am sure that is why I still remember it. I was allowed to go ice skating but, of course as an extremely upset child, I didn't want to go ice skating.

Now, apart from that explicit memory, I do have other really vague memories. Like I remember several times looking out of the side of the car, looking off the side of a cliff (or so it seemed to a young child). Thinking back on it, there weren't all THAT many mountains like that in Washington state. Sure we went to Mt. Rainier a couple times but this wasn't that. Another vague memory that I had no clue about until very recently was the smell of LebKuchen. Kuchen is cake, but Lebkuchen is a special "cake" made around christmas. The closest I have a description of is gingerbread, but this is so much better. When we got some (it was on sale, the stuff is kind of expensive), and I opened the chest, the smell was instantaeously recognizable from over 25 years ago! It was amazing. A smell I haven't experienced in so long was SO clear. I bought some for a bunch of family members, but I haven't had the chance to send it out yet. Just little things like that. I am very excited to share that with my family members, though.

As we get through this move I will try to get back on this and add more to what I have. Besides the deployments (where I am pretty sure blogs will be blocked), and my Masters Program (which I hope to finish in 2009), I am making sure that we are planning weekend trips (every week) to see or do something new. As you can see, there isn't a WHOLE lot of time for me to keep this up, so please be patient. Also, if you have any specific questions, you can email me at Capt.Kingsley@gmail.com and I will respond and then post the research for everyone.
C-Ya
Donny

No comments: