Monday, August 18, 2008

Andrew J Fancher and Maryette Nichols (Marietta Nichols)

So, I am really going to try to put this in a reasonable understandable fashion but when I run into little things that just don't make sense I get excited. It makes me want to talk to people but who to call? Well, I figured I would throw it out here and see if anybody could make sense of it.
Andrew J Fancher is Grampa Fancher's Great-Grandfather. I have had his 1870 census (1st on left) for a while. It shows 3 children... Eddy (age 4) and Elliot (age 2) and (before Eddy, btw) another girl. "Eddy, Lydia A" (age 8) like the rest of the family was born in NY. I assumed, and bounced it off B.J., that Lydia A Eddy was from a previous marriage of Maryette.

As a side note, I was still at this point trying to tie Elbert Fancher (Grampa Fancher's Grampa) to this Andrew J Fancher. Elbert (Bert) Fancher was born in 1867 so it makes no sense that he isn't on this census. Then again, there is a child that doesn't belong. I searched and searched for the 1880 census (2nd on left) for this family to no avail. Then I decided to check out familysearch.net. Although they have been mostly useless to me in the past, I found an Andrew Fancker indexed who proved to be the proper person. Although someone familiar with the family would be able to read Fancher, it is funny how a simple mistake can throw off a search. As you can see, there is also an Elbert that ties us together

So, that brings us back to the original reason for this post. Now I find the 1900 Census (3rd on left) for Andrew and Maryette. As you can see on lines 25 and 26, Andrew and Maryette have both been married 41 years. While there is a possibility that they both had prior marriages that lasted the exact same amount of time, it would still be marrying twice very young with no time in between for Maryette. Also note on line 26 (Maryette) that she had 3 children and they all are still living. So, even if they had previously, SHE only had 3 children and Lydia A Eddy must not have been one of them.
So what do you think? Please post comments...



No comments: